Overall score: 79/100
Tested June 2019
We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
If you’re looking for a smart display but you’re tight on space, the Amazon Echo Show 5 could be the ideal choice. It’s a smaller version of its Amazon Echo Show and thanks to the range of clock faces and its ability to adjust the brightness of the screen based on your surroundings, it’s ideal for bedside tables. With Alexa built-in, you can find out the weather report, get the latest headlines and even set timers and control you smart home devices. It’s screen looks clear and sharp but while you can watch TV shows and music videos, it’s not the best experience for that. It also sounds good despite its petite size, making it great value for money.
Available from: amazon.co.uk
GHI Expert Verdict
Simple to use, this is ideal for those that want a smart display next to their bed. It’s packed with handy features such as a camera and the ability to make video and voice calls You can watch videos, although the viewing experience isn’t the best on a small 5.5in screen.
- Ease of use: 4.3/5
- Design: 4.5/5
- Instructions: 3.5/5
- Performance: 3.9/5
- You can play videos from WikiHow that show you how to do everything from chopping a pineapple to tying a tie
- Built-in parental controls let you block access to items like the web browser
- The display has a camera so you can make video calls to other Echos or contacts that have the Alexa app installed on their smartphones. There’s also a handy privacy cover for the camera
- It’s possible to make calls to mobile and residential numbers from the smart display at no charge as they’re routed over the internet
- It’s simple and straightforward to use
We Didn’t Like
- The camera isn’t as high quality as the existing Echo Show
- You’ll need subscriptions to Amazon Prime or Spotify to ask Alexa to play music from these services
All product information provided by the manufacturer is correct at time of publication.